My 2010 Lenten Journey!

It has been said time and time again that “fasting” is the most powerful spiritual discipline of all the Christian disciplines. Through fasting and prayer, the Holy Spirit can transform your life.

This 2010 Lenten season, I have decided to attempt to execute a duel fast. I will run a traditional fast from food over the 46 day Lenten period. This will be a complete fast, in the sense that I will only have liquids, and will be accompanied by continuous prayer. My fasting experience will contain a duel aspect in that I will also fast another item from my daily life. Facebook! Over the Lenten season, I will be fasting Facebook.

I invite you to follow my blog postings as I journal my way through an experience that is both a personal journey with God and an outward witness to the power of faith and perseverance!

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ash Wednesday-Pilgrimage to the Cross!


While they were eating, Jesus took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to his disciples, saying, "Take and eat; this is my body." Then he took the cup, gave thanks and offered it to them, saying, "Drink from it, all of you. This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. I tell you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it anew with you in my Father's kingdom."---Matthew 26:26-29


Today is Ash Wednesday! Are we to be solemn or should we be celebrating? This day is set aside for all of Christendom to solemnly bring in the Lenten season yet it is also a time to celebrate. We, as Christians, are part of an immeasurable throng of worshippers intent in calling to remembrance the phenomenal cost of the salvation offered in Christ Jesus!

For those who choose to observe the Lenten season, it must first begin with a pilgrimage. A pilgrimage to the Lord’s Table set for all who believe and wish to express themselves through faith, obedience and remembrance.

This pilgrimage takes the believer back to the triumphal entry, to the upper room, to the rollercoaster of emotions felt by Christ’s followers and ultimately to the foot of the cross at Calvary! The believer is invited by Christ to eat and drink at the Lord’s Table, hence finding fellowship in the family of God. The believer must hear and remember the very call from Christ, “Do this in remembrance of me”. This is not just a call to history or religious acclaim but more importantly, this is a call to holiness!

As we choose to journey our way through the Lenten experience, God calls us to introspection and self-examination. Our journey over the next few weeks must be one that has the ultimate goal of Christ-likeness. Our trek must be one that produces change from the inside out. Our desire for holiness must be so intense that it drives our actions, our study, our prayers, our fellowship and our worship! We must be prepared to answer God’s call and to eat and drink from the table set before us in a holiness setting.

Why take the pilgrimage of Lent? Because we have a Savior who bled for us! We have a Savior who died for us! We have a Savior that bathed us in His grace and mercy and gave us hope in a world filled with cruelness and sin. We have a Savior who gave us his Love!

At The Cross

Alas, and did my Savior bleed?
And did my Sovereign die?
Would He devote that sacred head
For such a worm as I?

Chorus
At the cross, at the cross where I first saw the light,
And the burden of my heart rolled away,
It was there by faith I received my sight,
And now I am happy all the day!

Was it for crimes that I had done,
He groaned upon the tree?
Amazing pity! grace unknown!
And love beyond degree!

Well might the sun in darkness hide,
And shut his glories in,
When Christ, the mighty Maker died,
For man the creature's sin.

But drops of grief can ne'er repay
The debt of love I owe:
Here, Lord, I give my self away
'Tis all that I can do.
----Words by Isaac Watts, 1905

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing. I will be praying for you during this pilgrimage.

jsi said...

It is amazing to hear Jesus' voice through His words describing His Body and His Blood. His Blood of the covenant - the covenant that ensures our salvation, our placement in heaven for eternity. He promises to share something amazing with us when we see Him again...it makes my soul ache for Jesus.