My 2010 Lenten Journey!

It has been said time and time again that “fasting” is the most powerful spiritual discipline of all the Christian disciplines. Through fasting and prayer, the Holy Spirit can transform your life.

This 2010 Lenten season, I have decided to attempt to execute a duel fast. I will run a traditional fast from food over the 46 day Lenten period. This will be a complete fast, in the sense that I will only have liquids, and will be accompanied by continuous prayer. My fasting experience will contain a duel aspect in that I will also fast another item from my daily life. Facebook! Over the Lenten season, I will be fasting Facebook.

I invite you to follow my blog postings as I journal my way through an experience that is both a personal journey with God and an outward witness to the power of faith and perseverance!

Monday, February 22, 2010

My Friend Jim!


Have you ever had one of those days where you just feel…blah? That has been my day today and it just hasn’t improved all day long. First, I dropped my daughter Abby off at school this morning and totally forgot to say “Happy Birthday” to her!! To my credit, we already had her party yesterday so I am not that bad but it did make me feel horrible all morning.


Then to top things off, today, one of my best friends in life was just deployed to Iraq for a six month tour with the United States Air Force. He and his reserve unit out of Youngstown were given orders before Thanksgiving that they would be heading out this month. I am worried for him and his unit and I feel really bad for his wife and kids, as they endure their time apart. Please pray for Jim, his wife Tammy and their kids Caleb and Kylie.


As I continue my fasting this Lenten season, I can’t help but ponder on my buddy Jim and his call to service for our country. Jim accepted the call to serve in the military long ago and has remained in the reserves for the past several years when he left active service. As part of the reserves, he stands ready at a moment’s notice to be activated and deployed for our protection and our safety in this country. Jim has a very specific purpose at this time in our country’s history. He is a protector of our liberty and our freedom and while I am worried for his safety, I am also very proud of him.


Jim could have taken the initial route that Jonah took when God gave him orders to head to Nineveh…he could have turned tail and run the other way. Jim could have easily quit the reserves and opted out of Iraq but he didn’t. He honored the call to active service with the understanding that service requires action. Service requires dedication and service requires courage. Have I told you how proud of Jim I am today?!


His example of dedication to serve has given me a renewed spirit to serve in my own vocation. As a minister, God has asked me to serve Him, to serve my church and to serve the lost! Sometimes, I want to turn and run but today, through Jim’s reminder of sacrificial service, I am ready to stand strong. Thanks Jim and be safe!

1 comment:

jsi said...

I am so proud of Jim, and I actually can't believe that he has gone. You have some pretty amazing friends!